Wednesday, January 2, 2013

They’ll All Kow-Tow

In my house, the new year began with a strange juxtaposition. I resumed reviewing the mound of student legal research memos and briefs that came my way at the end of the semester. At the same time, my daughter, who felt a bit under-the-weather (or who at least wanted to spend a full day in her PJs), hunkered down to watch old musicals. Among the line-up was Cole Porter’s Kiss Me Kate. One of the best ditties from that show involves advice, offered up by a pair of mobsters, that is apropos to this blog: “Brush Up Your Shakespeare.” Here is an excerpt:
The girls today in society go for classical poetry,
So to win their hearts one must quote with ease
Aeschylus and Euripides.
One must know Homer, and believe me, Beau,
Sophocles, also Sappho-ho.
Unless you know Shelley and Keats and Pope,
Dainty Debbies will call you a dope.

But the poet of them all,
Who will start 'em simply ravin',
Is the poet people call
The Bard of Stratford on Avon.

Brush up your Shakespeare.
Start quoting him now.
Brush up your Shakespeare.
And the women you will wow.

Just declaim a few lines from Othella,
And they'll think you're a hell of a fella.
If your blonde won't respond when you flatter 'er,
Tell her what Tony told Cleopatterer.

Great stuff. You should check it out. And I hope your new year is off to a great start. Meanwhile, I intend to resume my efforts here with full-force once said mound of memos has been conquered.

No comments:

Post a Comment